Both my trips to Canada took me to places that blew me away in terms of the scenery and wildlife. I rarely go back to the same place twice, but after my 2011 trip, I was yearning to go back one more time and branch out into places I hadn’t been before. Both trips were on a motorcycle as Canada offers some of the best motorcycle roads in the world. If you haven’t been to this part of Canada, make it your next vacation. Here is a link to videos for what I packed and everything I had on my motorcycle for the trip.
Gear load out
Motorcyle walk around pre trip
Here are some random thoughts about my trips….
- Skip the town of Banff. It’s touristy and crowded. Canmore is a nice alternative and is less expensive and touristy and is only 15 minutes away.
- The trails in Banff national park are stunning for sure, but for a less crowded and just as beautiful alternative, try the trials in Kananaskis county. Just as beautiful and less crowded.
- The speed limits are slower than in the US, so plan accordingly.
- Do not stop in the middle of the road if you see wildlife…I had this happen a couple times and almost hit the car in front of me. Not fun on a motorcycle.
- The people seem to be very friendly.
- Jasper and Canmore/Banff areas are insanely expensive to find lodging during peak seasons..I paid about $225 per night for an Airbnb.
- Take Bear spray and don’t hike alone. Grizzlies are legit in this part of Canada. I ran into 2 of them hiking in 2011.
- Lots and lots of elevation gain will test your legs. I did 4 hikes in a row and my legs were screaming. Train before you go if you want to make the best of it.